Arrived in UK on 15nd Dec 1973..
Two personal experiences prompted a feeling of urgent need to educate local population
about Sikhs and Sikh Faith.
1. Joined Concord (only interfaith fellowship operating in the City) and worked with
Dr.Peter Bell MBE for several years to expand the work of Concord from the three
Abrahamic traditions to a total of 8 faiths represented in the City.
2. Established a Gurdwara in South Leeds in Dec 1986 to serve social and spiritual needs of
Sikh community in South Leeds.
3. Elected Vice-chair and Company Secretary of Leeds Faiths Forum.
4. Elected as Council member of Yorkshire and Humber Faiths Forum.
5. Voluntary Directorship of Leeds Voice, a Community Empowerment Network.
6. Voluntary Directorship of West Yorkshire Community Chaplaincy Project,
a company working with offenders discharged from jails to resettle them in
the community to prevent them from re-offending.
7. Sit as a faiths representative on ‘Narrowing the Gap Board’, part of Leeds Initiative.
8. Convenor of Yorkshire and Humber Gurdwara Consultative Forum. A forum to promote
intra faith harmony and create a collective Sikh voice in the region
to help the community engage with statutory bodies at strategic level.
Personal audience with His Holiness Pope John Paul II = May 2000
Contribution to Peace Conference in Rome year 2002
Council of the Parliament of World Religions in Barcelona year 2004
Prayers for Peace visit to Israel 2005
Eighth Assembly of Religions for Peace in Koyoto Japan year Sept 2006
Personal audience with His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI Sept 2006